Monday, January 21, 2013

It's The White Stuff

A while ago, my therapist suggested I do things I would normally not do. One of these things was sleeping on the wrong side of the bed. So at the side where normally your feet are. I can't recall exactly why it was, but mostly I think to get out of your comfortzone, do something that does not feel natural and thus throw your body a bit off-balance. I might be the shock your body needs.

I tried it for the last two nights and although I still had trouble falling asleep, I slept much better. When I woke up this morning I could see everything was white outside. I had to take a picture of course, because we almost never get to witness snow over here. The whole country is in chaos because of this terrible white fluffy stuff. Traffic jams, no trains driving on time, they even have a different schedule, so beware before you count on taking the normal train, it might not be there. I should not forget about that when I go to therapy on Wednesday...And then there is talk about this ice skating contest, the Elfstedentocht, in which ice skaters pass eleven cities skating on natural ice.

Every year when it's freezing for one day, all tv channels, radio shows and news papers only talk about this one thing. It's getting ridiculous because as far as I can recall, last time we actually had an Elfstedentocht was in 1996. I might be wrong with the year but I'm not that far off either. As you can see it's been a while. The ice is never thick enough everywhere to do the whole tour. So every year people get terribly disappointed and we put the idea back into the freezer for next year. Who knows, maybe it will happen this year. And possibly I'm in a country then where they could do this tour every year without any doubt. Ironic.

Yesterday I tried my idea with the leather pants out. I could only think of a few things I had over here that might help make the fake-leather slide easily along the machine. Because powdered sugar would probably get stick as well eventually, I decided to go with flour. It worked quite well, but somehow I was afraid I might damage the fabric as flour is not completely soft, there are some harder parts in it.

Last night when I couldn't sleep I remembered I had bought baby powder years ago for ballet class, because we had to dance on bare feet a few times for a contemporary piece, and after a while your feet get so sticky from sweating that you cannot perform the turns as well as you want to. This morning I checked and found it pretty fast. This was the right white stuff! Now the fabric glides over the machine and I finally have some pretty stitches on my pants. I wish I had thought of this sooner, so for instance the back pockets would look nicer. Or the inner leg stitchings. Oh well, it is my first try with this fabric so I think I am doing pretty well.

Today I put in the zipper and discovered another problem. I used a metal zipper because it matches nicely with the zippers I put in the legs, but of course my machine cannot stitch through metal so I have no clue how to fix this. I have to do all stitchings by hand I guess and I hope it will all stay put, because some parts need to be attached really strong. You don't want your pants to rip open around the zipper, right?

Got a really short message this evening from my Finn who is terribly exhausted from hard work. I suggested some good rest, a sauna and a massage. And I am not too lazy to offer him one, although I am not sure how long my arms and hands will last. Now he is in dreamland so I think I will join him. Would be fun to meet there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment